||Extend your unit on light into a study of optical illusions.
Your visual kids will love it and your more capable or interested kids can be challenged to create new illusions.
Here are a few resources to make it easy to add optical illusions to your science class.
Optics 4 Kids – The Optical Society for great resources – Check out their activities!
- Easy Activities explore the basic concepts of light and color, suitable for five and older
- Medium Activities are recommended for scientists ten and older
- Advanced Activities are suggested for scientists fifteen and older
Examples of Optical Illusions from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Optical Illusions Archive – 123opticalillusions.com
183 Optical Illusions – BrainBashers.com
Videos to view – I loaded these using viewpure so you skip ads and comments!
- Step into a cube made from candles
- Draw a hand illusion with just felt pens and a sheet of paper
- Draw a hole with a black pencil and a sheet of paper
I found my featured image at Pixabay! Stare at it and try to figure out if you are looking at a structure from the outside or the inside. After staring for a minute look away at a white sheet of paper or a wall and you’ll see the colors change in the afterimage.
Quick Science suggestions take minimal prep time and use common materials.